- Cellular biomechanics;
- 3-D cell culture of human and animal cells using the Rotating Wall Vessel (RWV) bioreactor;
- use of spaceflight and spaceflight analogue platforms for insight into the impact of biomechanical forces on living cells and tissues with a focus on the host-pathogen interaction;
- role of epigenetic and non-coding RNAs in regulating the responses of eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells to physical forces.
- Nickerson,Cheryl * , Barrila,Jennifer A , . Combined Effects of Microgravity Analogue Culture and Incremental Oxygen Levels on Bacterial Pathogen Adaptive Responses. NASA-JOHNSON SPACE CTR (2/1/2015 - 1/31/2016).
- Nickerson,Cheryl * , Barrila,Jennifer A , Jurutka,Peter W , Sandrin,Todd Ryan , . A New Dimension in Modeling Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) to Elucidate Novel Diagnostic Biomarkers and Microbiome Signatures. MAYO CLINIC SCOTTSDALE (1/1/2015 - 12/31/2015).
- Barrila,Jennifer A * Nickerson,Cheryl . Evaluating the Spaceflight Infectious Disease Risk Potential of Pathogenic and Commensal microorganisms using Caenorhabditis elegans as a Human Surrog. NASA-JOHNSON SPACE CTR (9/9/2013 - 9/8/2014).
- Nickerson,Cheryl * Barrila,Jennifer A . RNA Deep Sequencing and Metabolomic Profiling of Microgravity-Induced Regulation of the Host-Pathogen Interaction: An Integrated Systems Approach. NASA-AMES RESEARCH CTR (7/1/2013 - 6/30/2016).
- Nickerson,Cheryl * Barrila,Jennifer A . Investigation of host-pathogen interactions conserved cellular responses and countermeasure efficacy during spaceflight using the human surrogate. NASA-AMES RESEARCH CTR (7/13/2010 - 2/29/2016).
* principal investigator