Give a Gift
YOUR GIFT CAN CHANGE THE WORLD
With the mapping of the human genome comes the unprecedented opportunity to advance science in ways never before thought possible. Our nation’s ability to seize this opportunity is increasingly compromised by decreases in available government funding. The Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University is a place where your personal investment will make an impact – for people, for the state and perhaps, for the world and generations to come.
The Biodesign Institute began in 2002 with a big idea – and an even bigger gift: Voter-approved funding from the state’s Technology and Research Initiative Fund. At the nation’s largest publicly funded research university, our commitment to creating public good permeates all we do.
The breakthrough concept for Biodesign came from ASU President Michael Crow’s vision of changing the way universities attack research and science. “We need to design our knowledge enterprises to solve the problems that confront us,” he said.
That’s where the concept of convergence came into play. No longer would scientific disciplines be cloistered behind department doors. At Biodesign, great things happen when the scientists meet outside their disciplines: Imagine more than 400 brilliant minds sharing ideas and making discoveries together -- engineers interacting with biologists; chemists crossing paths with mathematicians, and geneticists working throughout to decode the mysteries of our DNA – all with the goal of solving some of life’s most vexing challenges:
- Finding ways to predict and halt the pernicious spread of infectious disease.
- Discovering the root cause of life-threatening maladies like cancer, diabetes and autism. Currently, our scientists are working to predict, diagnose or treat nearly 100 different diseases
- Advancing detection and diagnosis with breakthrough technologies like the rare X-ray Free-Electron Laser that allows researchers to observe at the level of an atom. Biodesign scientists working in this arena are advancing medical research that promises to save lives and vastly improve the quality of life for people who struggle with debilitating diseases like high blood pressure, stroke or cystic fibrosis.
- Achieving environmental sustainability by expanding options for improving the long-term health of our planet’s ecosystem.
- Protecting lives by developing technologies to ensure safety during disaster and conflict.
Whether your gift is $200 or $2 million, your investment is the ticket to becoming a true partner in understanding and stimulating scientific discovery. At Biodesign, donors often actively engage with the scientists they support.
We make it easy to join us. You may want to begin with a phone call, an email, or a tour of our facilities during which you will be meet with scientists who are working in your area of interest. We’ll be happy to answer your questions and help you explore the possibilities.
Director of Development, ASU Health Initiatives
Give a Gift
If you are ready to move ahead, you can make an online donation (LINK HERE) to the Biodesign Institute by selecting the “Biodesign Institute at ASU” field. Checks can be made payable to the “Arizona State University Foundation” and mailed to:
Arizona State University
Attn: Executive Director
PO Box 875001
Tempe, AZ, 85287