The Center for Environmental Health Engineering in the Biodesign Institute (https://biodesign.asu.edu/environmental-health-engineering) is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate to work in the area of urban metabolism metrology under the supervision of Prof. Rolf Halden, Director. The research will focus on analyzing chemical and biological agents of interest in urban environments using gas and liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry, high resolution mass spectrometry, and allied analytical techniques. Environmental sample matrixes of interest include raw and treated wastewater, municipal sludge, and biological tissues from animals and humans. This training opportunity will provide experience in human exposure assessment, pollution prevention, computer modeling, grant writing, and laboratory management.
- Conduct research on environmental pollutants and associated biomarkers of exposure
- Develop analytical methods for contaminants of emerging concern
- Use of LC-MS/MS, GC-MS/MS, and HRMS instrumentation
- Enhance current exposure science through contributions to the peer-reviewed literature
- Create SOP’s for lab processes
- Maintain laboratory safety and ensure compliance with QA/QC programs.
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Environmental Engineering, or related field.
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Environmental Engineering, or related field received within the last 2 years
- Experience with GC-MS, LC-MS, MS/MS techniques
- Experience with HRMS instrumentation, including orbitrap mass spectrometers, is highly desirable
- Knowledge of molecular biology and metagenomic analyses desirable but not essential
- Knowledge of OSHA lab safety requirements a plus
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Current driver’s license or ability to obtain within 3-months of hire
The position will remain open until filled. To apply, please send cover letter, CV, summary of past work, and the names and email addresses of three references to Dr. Megan Maurer firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Postdoctoral Research Associate” in the subject line of your email. Initial review of applicants will begin on December 10, 2018.
The Biodesign Institute addresses today's critical global challenges in healthcare, sustainability, and security by developing solutions inspired from natural systems and translating those solutions into commercially viable products and clinical practices.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and it welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe. ASU is in the Phoenix metropolitan area in Tempe, Arizona and is one of the largest universities in the U.S.