Postdoctoral Research Associate
The Cartwright Lab at Arizona State University in Tempe, AZ is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the area of Computational/Statistical Genomics to study evolutionary questions using mutation accumulation lines of the ciliate, Tetrahymena thermophila. These lines are being generated as part of an NIH funded collaboration with the Zufall and Azevedo labs at the University of Houston.
The Cartwright Lab is part of the Center for Evolutionary Medicine and Informatics (CEMI), one of 10 research centers in the Arizona State University’s Biodesign Institute. Research in the Cartwright Lab covers many different questions in population genetics and molecular evolution, at the interface of biology, statistics, and computer science. A majority of our research involves developing, implementing, and applying novel methodologies to study genomic datasets.
As part of this project, the Postdoctoral Research Associate is expected to be able to:
1. Assemble the genomes of the dozens of Tetrahymena thermophila lines from short-read sequences
2. Develop novel, high-throughput methodologies to identify de novo mutations by comparing multiple lines
3. Work closely with collaborators at the University of Houston to develop statistical methods to estimate the phenotypic effects of mutations
4. Present the results of research at meetings, in publications, etc.
Ph.D. in genomics, bioinformatics, or related field
1. Experience working with microbial genomes
2. Knowledge of programming languages including Python and C++
3. Knowledge of statistical methodologies
4. Experience with short-read sequencing
Application must contain one document which includes
2. Cover Letter
3. Names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references
Deadline for applications is July 21, 2013. Applications will continue to be accepted and considered until the job is filled/closed.
For more information see http://cartwrig.ht/lab/ , http://labs.biodesign.asu.edu/cartwright/ , http://bchs.uh.edu/~rzufall , and http://wwworm.biology.uh.edu
To apply, forward one document that includes a cover letter, detailed CV, and names of 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the job title in the subject line of the letter.
Arizona State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
A background check is required for employment.